Friday, May 8, 2009

Gram



The most amazing woman I have ever known died last night, my grandmother. She had her 2 daughters with her, her 3 granddaughters and her nephew.

I had been travelling up every night for the past week to see her at the hospital. She told me on one of her visits that the sweet pea flower was her favourite. She had it climbing on her fence that entered the walkway to her house.

For the past 10 years, I have travelled up to their farm once a week to see her and Grandad. It was a year and 13 days since Grandad died. They both went into the hospital 2 weeks prior and they both died on a Thursday. Both times their daughters and granddaughters were with them at the end. There is no way we could have asked for a better life for them, or for them to have found more happiness. They loved their grandchildren and great grandchildren more than anything.

They witnessed my marriage, the birth of my children, and their baptisms. Gram was over at my place for supper less than 6 weeks ago and I showed her the quilts I was working on.

She was my role model, my hero, and the best Grandma in the whole world, and I loved her with all my heart.

3 comments:

Christine said...

So sorry about your loss Jackie! I will be thinking of you and your family in the days ahead.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, you have a nice way with words describing your gram. Call me if you need anything.
Terry

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your "gram". Obviously, her great grandmothering made your great granddaughtering a act of love not duty.M\
Myra