Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Traditions....



Traditions.... when do they start and when do they stop?

I have lived on the island, full time for 11 years. When I moved here permanently, I unknowingly started a tradition. Every year I would drive to Sudbury at the first of December and go to my favourite greenhouse. They are my favourite for several reasons. First, when I moved back to Ontario and didn't know anyone in my old city, they took a chance on me and gave me a job. Then they turned around and treated me like one of the family. And when it comes to plants, they don't import their poinsettia plants, they grow them.

I started buying poinsettias as I never could figure out what to get my grandparents for Christmas. They had everything they needed. Really. Gram would never want you to spend money on something fancy for her kitchen. She would be thrilled to get a new spatula. They never indulged on themselves. Never. So I would go out and get them the largest, most beautiful poinsettia I could find. And while I was there, I would buy some for other family and friends as well.

This year, I haven't gone yet. I haven't marked a day to go, or made plans to go. I don't know if I am going to go. This year there is no Gram to buy a poinsettia for. This year, I can't deliver the biggest, most gorgeous plant I can find. This year I don't get to hear her tell me 'that I shouldn't have.'

Does the tradition continue without the most important woman in my life?

This year...

3 comments:

Murray said...

I think you should still go and get the finest one you can find and place it in your own home as a reminder of the people that have meant so much to you. In fact, I think I'll do the same... thanks for the post.

Diane said...

Tradtions and memories are something still sacred we can hold onto till the end of time. I think you should buy the biggest ,most beautiful plant and put it in a special in your home. That way,the tradtion and memory of your Grandmother will be with you throughout the most magical time ofyear. Every time you look at the plant, you will see and hear wonderful memories of your Gram and she will be with you forthe Christmas season.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

What Diane said.