Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Close Up


Here is a close up of the quilt I had quilted. It is called Perseverance. This quilt was started 4.5 years ago when my youngest was just 3 weeks old. I had a friend come from British Columbia to teach me a new technique, and wanting to use it, this quilt was born. With 2 young children, it took a long time to finish the top. Then as a special treat, had it quilted. I have always quilted my own quilts, but I wanted to see what it would be like to have someone do it on a long arm machine. And it was not what I wanted. I asked advice from 3 top quilters and was told to chalk it up to a lesson learned, file it on a shelf, and give it away. So I put it away while I thought about it. But I couldn't let it go. I just couldn't give it up. It was too close to me and went through too many things with me. It saw me through birth, the death of two exceptionally close people, I cried over this quilt and I laughed over it. It was me, and I never ever give up.

My dear mother offered as a Christmas gift to remove all the stitching for me. It took over 6 months for her to do.

Then I had it requilted and it is so fabulous, I can't even describe it.

I won't post pictures till I hear one way or another from the National Juried Show if it was accepted. Once I hear, I will post the quilt and several detailed shots of the quilt. For now.... keep your fingers crossed.