Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Design Process



Nest month our guild is doing a program on different aspects of quilting. I have been asked to talk about the design process that I go through in making an art quilt.

The first thing I do is grab my sketch pad and pencil. These are not fancy items. I find both at the Dollar Store. Sometimes I have no idea what I am going to do, so I just start doodling objects and shapes that I like. In my last quilt, I knew the shape I was using, so I started with that. The one I am currently sketching, I started with a piece of fabric I love.

I put a date on the sketch book at the front, so I know when I used it. I keep all my pads so I can go back and look stuff up, or for different ideas, and just for memory.

From the moment I start sketching a new design, the pad stays at my side through the whole process of making the quilt. It sits on the cutting table, or at night, if I want to work through something I bring it up to bed with me to work on.

Not only will the sketch book have the original design, but I will jot down notes, especially if I am trying a new technique. I will write out the steps so I don't forget them.

As I near the end, I will start colouring parts of the design to see what colours work with embellishing, quilting and borders.

And when my art quilt is done. I grab my sketch pad and start again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just nominated you for a Creative Blogger Award. Check out my blog for details :) You are DEFINITELY one of the most creative people I've ever met!