Friday, July 30, 2010

Dyed Dresses




I had two little girls over yesterday. One had a cute bright pink dress on it with a large blue stain in the front. Her mother commented that she would not be able to wear it to school in the fall. So I offered to dye it for her. Upon hearing this the other little girl, who was wearing a gorgeous yellow dress, asked if hers could be dyed as well. The mother grudgingly consented and here are the results.

I chose a purple dye bath, as I knew I needed something dark to cover up the stain on the pink dress, yet wanted to have a nice contrast with the yellow dress too. I used elastics on both and scrunched them into a wide mouth vase to achieve the marbling effect. I am pleased with both and hope the little girls will be too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, did the poor little things go home naked? MT

Jackie said...

Yep, in just their undies!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Nice job! Great idea.

Susan J Barker said...

I used to do that with my boys shirts way back in the 70's that is if they had not grown out of it, suffice to say, my younger son had many more dyed shirts than my older boy!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea! My friend's 12 year old was here for a week as my "Mother's Helper" and when she did the washing, she ended up staining my white shirt (blue spots all over the place). Why hadn't I thought of dying it!?! You are a genius!