Sunday, June 24, 2012

Why Quilt?

I recently read an article that some marketing company had put together and one of the comments made was that if you want people to read your blog and continue to follow along, you have to let them know what makes you tick.   I am pretty sure they worded it much more eloquent than I just did, but you get what I mean.  

Of course after reading this, I immediately thought I didn't want to lose any of you.   Whether you know it or not, when you comment, I do recognize your names and love hearing from you.  I also do try and send a reply back, I admit, sometimes it is a quick one, but I hope you understand as I am sure your life is busy too=)

I guess I should answer why do I quilt?  I wish I could put it down in a simple sentence, but truth be told, I don't know.   I can't not go into my studio every day, even if it is too just look at the mess.   I can tell you when any juried show in North America opens and closes and when entry deadlines are.   And I enter many of them and love doing so.   I belong to a guild of lovely ladies, and even if none of them do what I do, they still appreciate my quilts, and I love them for that.   I belong to our national quilt association, going so far as to now take a role on the Board, and am enjoying the ride thus far.   I write tutorials for Riley Blake fabrics and Pellon and love doing it and working for them.  

Making 3D quilts is the most fun I can have in my studio.  Designing a quilt and then trying to make it, altering a zillion times along the way, modifying, adding, quilting and finally finishing it, is greatly satisfying.   But I am never completely happy with any quilt I finish... because every one I thought I could have done a little differently when I am finished.   Except for one.    And I think that one was because it literally had my heart in it.   Do you have to put a huge piece of yourself into every quilt?    Can you make quilts just for fun and still have them be beautiful and respected?   Hmmm...  so why do you quilt?





13 comments:

sandra said...

Hi Jackie, I always appreciate that you send a reply when I comment. I love your art quilts and all that you do.
I love fabric and quilting and wished I had started many years ago instead of after I retired because I have a lot of arthritis. But I still work away at it and finished four quilts this year and I never really like my quilts till they are quilted. I have had to stop hand quilting and machine quilting is coming slowly and I do send some out to quilt. I know from the pleasure I get I will quilt as long as possible. Blessing Sandra

CraftyViolet said...

I love quilting too - it's following patterns that I just can't do! I love to "make it my own" so I'm really leaning towards art quilts and landscape quilts. I'm already bored with just sewing blocks and rectangles together!

As far as people knowing how you tick? Well, I think people who read my blog know I tick pretty good but my tock is a bit off!


Violet
www.craftyviolet.blogspot.com

Rolanda said...

The creation of the quilt. That is the main thing I love about quilting. Also the fellowship around the quilt frame. All ages and all stages of life. Interesting talks. I'm trying to do a photo quilt right now and I'm not having fun. lol. Pushing that boundary.

Gene Black said...

yes Jackie, a part of me goes into every quilt I make- especially the art quilts. I love designing various types of quilts.
I also generally think of things I coulda/shoulda done differently.

Snoodles said...

You summed up my day/life really well...if I can't play my day ends up being consumed with thoughts about what I'd do if I could spend some time playing. I'll drive down the street and see something or think of something and grab my sketch book from my purse. I'll even sit in a business meeting and think about an upcoming blog post.....for shame, for shame, I know. But I love the creative process, and it brings me joy!

Vivian said...

Hi Jackie,
I just spent some enjoyable time cruising your blog. You are doing some really creative stuff ... it is fun to experiment!
And, on behalf of quilters in Canada ... thanks for donating your time to CQA/ACC! It is a lot of work, but very rewarding.

Unknown said...

Nice post, Jackie! I love this question so much, I'm going to make a blog post out of it!

Kat said...

Ok Ok you made the list! :o))))))

Michelle G said...

I too love what you do. I think you are so creative. I recently started quilting and I do it because it makes me happy. Also, I get excited about learning and with quilting there is alway something to learn.

Susan J Barker said...

Jackie, I am on a similar bent right now, Why do I do what I do? Am working hard to find out this summer! Always enjoy your thoughts and your art!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Very good post. I'm not a quilter such as you are but I do love the enjoyment of making something out of fabric. I try my very best to create something beautiful...to me anyway:) I appreciate the beauty of something that is made by hand as I feel the maker puts a lot of themselves into the making whether they intend to or not.

HollyM said...

While I do make some quilts I'm primarily an art quilter. I've been heading in this direction my whole life having worked with many textiles and having learned to paint.
With art quilting I can put it all together. I'm like you in that can't not go into my studio for at least a look if not a bit of fun.

Mama Pea said...

I ask myself this question all the time. It is a complex question/answer. :-) Like you, I have to walk into my room and just stare at my mess sometimes, too. And it makes me happy to do it, because I don't have time or feel like sewing sometimes. But I'm still happy with all the color, etc.