Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Challenge Quilt


As you know, I am a member of the Canadian Quilters' Association.  They have started doing quarterly challenges for their members... with great prizes.   This last one was to create a quilt within a 48" perimeter and the theme was 'These Boots Are Made For Walking'.

I started out by using some sandy looking hand dyed fabric.   Then took some fabric dye and made it into a paint.   I painted the bottom of my son's running shoes and stamped it on the fabric.



After letting it dry, I picked out an area I thought would work and quilted it.

I decided to quilt the background with a meandering dark brown thread... to create a wind blown effect in sand.   The footprints were outlined in a navy blue thread to highlight the treads.


I call it 'Summer in the Sun'. It was nice to create something small and without a lot of planning.   I just went for it, no sketch pad, no pre-design, just created!  And loved it.




12 comments:

Kathryn said...

Terrific. The quilting really stands out and makes the quilt.

Renate said...

I love, love, love this little quilt! Such a simple image with so much to say!! Love it!!!

CraftyViolet said...

Love this! You captured the sand perfectly with the brown swirling quilting! It's another winner!

sandra said...

Love it and the way you quilted around the shoes made them stand out. Good job

What Comes Next? said...

what a great quilt - love it Jackie!

Gene Black said...

Great job! It is so fun to see how someone else would interpret a theme. I would have totally gone with appliqued boots - not nearly as inventive as your idea.

Rolanda said...

That looks amazing!

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Fabulous! Love sneaker pictures!

Gill said...

Great! I love it!

Snoodles said...

What a neat way to interpret the theme! I dearly love seeing your projects....you inspire me, girl!

Regina said...

Very interesting, and I really like your colours.

Dolores said...

Where's the info on the quarterly challenges? I looked on the CQA web site but couldn't find any mention there.